Free School Meals
You may have heard that Wales will be providing free school meals to all Primary pupils. This is true, but it is going to be phased in over a period of a few years. This year it is only Reception children who universally receive free school meals.
However many parents may be eligible to apply for free school meals for their child now.
If you register for free school meals, even if your child decides not to have a school lunch, you can:
- Save up to £400 a year for each primary school child
- Help your school and other schools in Powys to benefit from funding because you have registered
- Registering for Free School Meals might also qualify you for other help and assistance.
If you qualify for any of the following, you can apply for free school meals.
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
- If you are an Asylum Seeker getting support under the Immigration and Asylum Act.
- State Pension Guaranteed Credit
- Employment and Support Allowance - Income based
- Child Tax Credit - as long as you are not getting an amount for childcare paid with your CTC, or getting Working Tax Credit. HM Revenue & Customs must also have worked out your household income as £16,190 a year or less.
Universal Credit - as long as your annual net earnings are £7400 or less
You can also get free school meals if you are entitled to a Working Tax Credit 'run-on' payment for four weeks after stopping work or reducing working hours to under 16 hours a week.
If you think you may be eligible, please follow this link Free school meals - Powys County Council for more information and to apply.